Entries for the Family and Consumer Sciences Exhibits (Divisions: Sewing, Needlecraft, Crafts, Fine Arts, Photography, Canning, Cooking, Floriculture) will be taken between 8:00 a.m. and 12:00 p.m. on Saturday, June 30, 2018. Entries will be taken on Monday, July 2, 2018 between 8:00 am and 12:00 for Cooking only.
Rules for Adult Exhibits:
- Any item receiving any ribbon may not be entered again.
- Due to lack of space, we can no longer take entries at the Extension Office.
- In case of mistakes, entry book will be accepted as standard in awarding prize money.
- In case of only one entry in a class, it shall be judged according to the quality of the product.
- Only one entry per person may be entered in the same Lot in any Division.
- Open only to Smith County residents over the age of 18 and/or current Smith County FCE club members.
- Pick up will begin at 1:00 pm Sunday, July 8 and will end at 3:00 pm. However, Cooking entries WILL NOT be returned. Only ribbons in cooking will be given at pick up. Premium checks must be picked up on Sunday as well and cashed within 60 days.
- All articles are exhibited at the owner’s risk, but all reasonable precautions will be taken for protection of items.
- We are not responsible for items not picked up on Sunday afternoon by 3:00.
- Items must be homemade where applicable.
- FCS exhibits will be closed during judging and at 9:00 pm week nights and 9:30 Friday & Saturday.
- Judges’ decisions will be final.
- Best of Show will be given in each Division.
- The Hallie Mai Clemons Award of $100 will be given to the FCE club with the most entries in the Family & Consumer Sciences exhibits. Exhibitors must be a club member prior to June 15 to qualify.
In each Division the following will be awarded:
PREMIUMS…………………1ST – $5, 2ND – $4. 3RD – $3
BEST OF SHOW…………..$10
DIVISION I – SEWING
- It is the responsibility of the Exhibitor to make sure their entry is in the correct category.
- Items must be made by exhibitor with the exception of recycled clothing.
Lot 3 Dress, fancy
Lot 4 Vest
Lot 5 Suit – Jacket with pants or skirt
Lot 6 Blouse
Lot 7 Skirt
Lot 8 Any other ladies’ clothing
CLASS II – CHILDREN’S CLOTHES
Lot 14 Pillow, handmade Lot 15 Doll Clothes
Lot 16 Costumes, adult
Lot 17 Costumes, youth
Lot 18 Recycled clothing
Lot 20 Potholder
Lot 21 Purse/Tote Bag
Lot 22 Quilted clothing item
Lot 23 Any other sewn item
DIVISION II – NEEDLECRAFT
- It is the responsibility of the Exhibitor to make sure their entry is in the correct category.
- Items must be made by exhibitor.
CLASS II – CLOTHING:
Lot 4 Children’s crocheted clothing
Lot 5 Children’s knitted clothing
Lot 6 Adult crocheted clothing
Lot 7 Adult knitted clothing
CLASS III – MISCELLANEOUS:
Lot 8 Knitting, any article except afghans
Lot 11 Crewel Embroidered article
Lot 12 Cross-Stitched article
Lot 13 Embroidered article
Lot 14 Needlepoint article
Lot 15 Counted Cross-Stitch article, small
DIVISION III – QUILTS
- Work can be pieced by exhibitor and quilted by someone else, but must be noted on exhibit.
Lot 1 Quilt,hand-appliquéd
DIVISION IV – CRAFTS
Note: Scrapbooks will be left out for viewing.
Lot 2 Ceramics
Lot 3 Christmas craft
Lot 4 Christmas stocking
Lot 5 Christmas tree ornament
Lot 15 Single scrapbook page
Lot 16 Recycled item
Lot 17 Toys, handmade
Lot 18 Wooden product -small (ex. Tree ornament)
Lot 20 Wooden product – large (more than 12” tall)
Lot 22 Special Occasion Cards
Lot 23 Hand carved wood item, small
Lot 24 Hand carved wood item large
Lot 25 Any Other craft item
DIVISION V – FINE ARTS
- No canvas paintings exceeding 24” x 30”, including frame, will be accepted.
- Paintings must be framed or on stretch canvas.
- All entries must have hooks or stands for hanging or displaying.
- Only one entry per person in any Lot.
- No paint by number or glass painting.
- Paintings with wet paint will be disqualified.
- Professional is defined as someone who sells their work, teaches art professionally, or a person who has published and sold art or has displayed in a gallery.
Lot 2 Watercolor
Lot 7 Contemporary (any media)
Lot 8 Any Media (Including china)
Lot 9 Wood Sculpture
Lot 10 Metal Sculpture
Lot 11 Mixed Media Sculpture
Lot 12 Recycled Art
Lot 13 Any other amateur art
Lot 14 Oil
Lot 15 Watercolor
Lot 16 Acrylic
Lot 17 Pastel
Lot 18 Pencil
Lot 19 Charcoal
Lot 20 Contemporary (any media)
Lot 21 Any Media (Including china)
Lot 22 Wood Sculpture
Lot 23 Metal Sculpture
Lot 24 Mixed Media Sculpture
Lot 25 Recycled Art
Lot 26 Any other professional art
DIVISION VI – PHOTOGRAPHY
- All photos must be the original work of an amateur photographer (amateur – someone who does not receive pay for photography).
- Previous winning entries or those entered in the past year will not be accepted.
- All photos must be no smaller than 5” x 7” or no larger than 8” x 10” and in color, except lot #2 and #18.
- Photos must be mounted on sturdy mount board, no construction paper or cardstock, to accommodate photography racks. No framed photos accepted.
- Only one item may be entered in any Lot.
- Tags will be placed on items in the direction that the photo will be displayed.
Lot 3 Favorite Pet Photos
Lot 4 Landscape
Lot 5 Nature (trees, water, trails, etc.)
Lot 7 Sports/Action
Lot 8 Still Life
Lot 9 Sunset/Sunrise
Lot 10 Snow scene
Lot 11 Baby (age 1 & under)
Lot 12 Humorous
Lot 13 Historic Landmarks
Lot 14 Barn/Outbuilding
Lot 15 Plants & flowers
Lot 16 Wild Animals
Lot 17 Farm Animals
Lot 18 Digitally enhanced
Lot 19 Any other
DIVISION VII – CANNING
- All entries must be made by the exhibitor in containers of size called for in Fair Catalog or will be refused.
- Canned items will not be accepted unless they are sealed Mason-type canning jars with 2 piece lids. (Ex., Ball or Kerr). Any items losing their seal will be discarded.
- Product must have been canned since the 2017 Smith County Fair.
- Jars must have exhibitors name and phone number on bottom of jar.
- All fruits, vegetables, pickles, and juices will be accepted in either pints or quarts, unless noted otherwise.
- Jams, jellies and preserves will only be accepted in pints or jelly jars.
- Paraffin cannot be used to seal jams, jellies or preserves.
CLASS I – FRUITS:
Lot 3 Blackberries
Lot 4 Apples
Lot 5 Cherries
Lot 6 Applesauce
Lot 8 Green Beans, no shelly
Lot 12 Sauer Kraut
Lot 13 Beets
Lot 14 Lima Beans
Lot 15 Soup Mixture
Lot 16 Okra
Lot 17 Corn, whole kernel
Lot 20 Any other vegetable
Lot 23 Plum Preserves
Lot 24 Strawberry Preserves
Lot 28 Blackberry Jam
Lot 29 Any Other
Lot 30 Apple
Lot 31 Blackberry
Lot 32 Blueberry
Lot 33 Cherry
Lot 34 Grape
Lot 35 Plum
Lot 36 Any Other
Lot 37 Sweet Cucumber Pickles
Lot 39 Squash Pickles
Lot 40 Green Tomato Pickles
Lot 42 Corn Relish
Lot 43 Bread & Butter Pickles
Lot 54 Pint Dried Fruit
Lot 55 Grape Juice, dark
Lot 57 Salsa
Lot 58 Spaghetti Sauce
Lot 59 Honey with comb
Lot 62 Any Other
DIVISION VIII – COOKING
- Entries must be made by the exhibitor.
- Entries must be displayed on sturdy, white disposable plates not to exceed 7”.
- Items preferred to be in zip lock bags.
- Due to limited space only winners may be displayed.
- Muffins, biscuits, yeast rolls, candy, cookies and cupcakes: Three (3) to a plate
- Pies: 1 large slice displayed on plate (see rule #2).
- Cakes: 1⁄4 displayed on plate (see rule #2) with the exception of Lot 9. Cakes will be judged as follows: texture, flavor, and appearance.
- Breads: 1⁄4 loaf.
- Homemade crusts preferred, but not required.
- Cooking items will not be returned with the exception of faux decorated cakes.
- Cooking entries will be taken on Monday, July 2 from 8 a.m. – noon.
Lot 2 Yellow
Lot 3 Pound
Lot 4 Chocolate
Lot 5 Spice
Lot 6 Angel Food, no mixes
Lot 7 Commercial Cake Mix, any kind Lot 8 Cupcakes
Lot 9 Decorated (bring whole faux or real cake)
Lot 10 Any other Cake
Lot 11 Sugar
Lot 12 Oatmeal
Lot 13 Chocolate Chip
Lot 14 Bar Cookie
Lot 15 Brownie
Lot 16 Tea CakesLot
Lot 22 Lemon
Lot 23 Chocolate
Lot 26 Pecan
Lot 27 Coconut Pie
Lot 28 Sweet Potato Pie
Lot 30 Divinity
Lot 31 Chocolate Fudge
Lot 33 Candy Display (3 different kinds)
Lot 35 Any Other
Lot 36 Biscuits
Lot 40 Sourdough Bread
Lot 41 Vegetable Bread
Lot 42 Fruit Bread
Lot 43 Yeast Rolls
Lot 44 Coffee Cake
Lot 45 Sweet Rolls
Lot 46 Muffins, other than cornbread
Lot 47 Any Other
DIVISION IX – FLORICULTURE
- It is the responsibility of the exhibitor to water their plants and/or replace all dead flowers with fresh ones during fair week. All dead flowers will be discarded.
- Entries will be judged 1/3 on flowers; 1/3 on arrangement; & 1/3 on container, except specimens.
- All specimens will be displayed in bottles provided by floriculture depart- ment at entry, and will be judged on flower only – container not considered.
- No artificial flowers will be accepted.
- Not responsible for containers that are lost or broken.
- Every effort will be made to preserve the condition of all plants, but the Fair will not be responsible for changes due to temperature, lighting and watering conditions.
- Potted plants must have been in exhibitor’s possession three months. No DRIED flowers.
- All Containers must have a saucer to catch water.
CLASS I – POTTED PLANTS:
Lot 1 Boston Fern – foliage not to exceed 36”
Lot 2 Fern – Any Other Variety Lot 3 Begonia
Lot 4 Geranium
Lot 5 Sultana
Lot 6 Shamrock
Lot 7 African Violet, single
Lot 8 African Violet, double
Lot 9 Mixed Pot
Lot 10 Wandering Jew
Lot 11 Any Other
Lot 12 Cactus – not to exceed 15”
Lot 14 Moss Rose
Lot 16 Sedum
Lot 17 Any Other
Lot 19 Wild Flowers
Lot 20 Gladiolus
Lot 21 Flowers, 3 or more varieties
Lot 23 Dahlias
Lot 24 Roses
Lot 25 Zinnias
Lot 26 Marigolds
Lot 27 Cosmos
Lot 28 Most Unusual Arrangement Lot 29 Fresh Herb
Lot 30 Lilies
Lot 31 Any Other
Lot 32 Gladiola, any color
Lot 36 White Rose
Lot 38 Yellow Rose
Lot 39 Small Zinnia
Lot 40 Large Zinnia
Lot 41 Marigold
Lot 42 Sunflower
Lot 43 Lilies, any type
Lot 44 Hydrangea, any color
DIVISION X – HEIRLOOMS
- Item must be at least 75 years old with the exception of Lot 5.
- Entry must have owner’s name; the name of the original owner if known; their relationship to you; and the name of the item on a note card.
- All items will be stored in a display case in order to provide additional security.
- Items may only be entered once every 5 years.
- Items must be original (no copies).
- All items should be 12 inches and under with the exception of antique quilts.
Lot 2 Small kitchen item
Lot 3 Small men’s item
Lot 4 Small ladies’ item
Lot 5 War item (WWII or before) Lot 6 Postcard or correspondence Lot 7 Bottle
Lot 8 Antique Quilt (does not have to be made by the exhibitor)
Lot 9 Small Toy
Lot 10 Small Tool
Lot 11 Box
Lot 12 Book
Lot 13 Glassware