The Apple Pie Baking Contest at the Smith County Fair is set for Monday, July 4, 2022 at 5:30pm.
The Apple Pie Contest will take place in Pioneer Village and will be judged before a live audience like the fairs of yesteryear!
- Traditional Double Crust
- Variation (Lattice, dutch apple)
- All components of pies must be homemade.
- 8-9 inches in size
- All pies must be submitted in disposable containers
- Winning pies become property of the contest sponsor.
- Only one entry per person per division
- Bring recipe on index card – Winners must submit their recipe after judging.
Judges will evaluate 3 components of each pie:
- Overall exterior appearance – basic eye appeal, color, shape, edges sealed (traditional).
- Inside characteristics: Crust (Flaky, not crumbly, crisp) and Filling (Fruit tender and uniform, not runny, holds shape)
- Taste: Crust (rich, blended, not doughy) – Filling (Good balance of sweet and spices, not too thick) – Great memorable combination of taste and texture.
Directions for entry:
Bring pies to Pioneer Village from 5:00pm-5:30pm. Your pie is your free ticket for entry into the fair (one ticker per pie). Enter thru the back gate (gate 2). The back gate attendant will direct you to the parking area. If you need a cart, the attendant will have one meet you in the parking lot to to take you to Pioneer Village where the judging will take place before a live audience on the Rotary Stage.